Developer(s): EA Montreal, Buzz Monkey Software
Publisher(s): Electronic Arts
Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation Portable
Genre(s): Third-person shooter
Game Modes: Single-player, Co-Op Campaign, multi-player
Release Date: January 12, 2010
Rating: M – Mature
JD Shep’s Game Fly Rental Review Summer Extravaganza #8 was originally posted as a Facebook note on 08/08/2010. Minor changes were made to the content and format.
Eighth on the list from Game Fly was “Army of Two The 40th Day” for the Xbox 360.
“Army of Two The 40th Day” is a 3rd person cover shooter that can be played single player or co-op campaign and also has a multiplayer online aspect. I played the single player campaign.
I unlocked 16 of 58 achievements for 215 points out of 1250 points.
This is a sequel to “Army of Two“. Ex-Army Rangers and best friends Tyson Rios and Elliot Salem are guns for hires. Along with their handler Alice Murray they have their own company: Trans World Operations (T.W.O.).
They are on a routine mission in Shanghai when hell comes raining down from the sky quite literally. Planes fall, buildings explode, and start to play dominoes with each other, and that is just within the first 10 minutes. Then they start to investigate by going through different parts of Shanghai, but don’t worry it doesn’t all look the same. You kill different classes of mercenaries and rescue hostages while searching for who is behind this catastrophe and punish them.
1) Few glitches here and there but overall the environment and people look awesome.
2) At times there is some funny dialogue that makes me giggle.
3) The customization to your weapons and masks has increased, and you can do the customization at any time rather than just at checkpoints.
4) The GPS on your mask now allows you to now tag enemies.
5) There is much improvement on the partner AI in comparison to the first one. It feels like he has your back a lot more.
6) You can perform mock surrenders with quick draws and also fake your death.
7) You can rescue innocent hostages, and
8) take enemy hostages and have your partner tie up the others, or you can execute, which either goes towards a positive morality or negative morality.
9) Love the Agro system in this game. This is where your enemies are concentrating their attention on whoever is the bigger threat while the other is basically invisible and can flank easily.
1) On the customization aspect you are only allowed three secondary pistols.
2) On the controls the “A” button is used for way too many things and therefore when you are trying to revive your partner you can dash to cover instead.
3) I found it difficult sometimes to here dialogue, and unfortunately you cannot customize this separately from music and fx.
I see a lot of play through potential with difficulty levels, morality choices, and co-op. I will rate “Army of Two The 40th Day” as 3) BUY DEEP SALE for now, but if I did the co-op or multi-player it would probably be 4) BUY SALE.
When I rented this it was only a partial play through because early on I decided I wanted to buy it. I did end up buying it.
Thanks for Playin’!