Director: James Gunn
Genre(s): Action. Adventure. Science Fiction (Sci-Fi)
Release Date: 08/01/2014
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Run time: 121 minutes
Audio & Video:
Welcome to SBB’s video podcast, episode 15.1, recorded on Monday, August 25, 2014.
I will try to keep the written review as spoiler free as possible. Peter Quill, Earth, 1988, listening to awesome music on his Walkman. Fast forward 26 years. Peter Quill, Morag, 2014, listening to awesome music on his Walkman, but as an adult! Peter, aka Star-Lord, is a ravenger (pirate, treasure hunter for hire). His current job is to retrieve a mysterious, black, orb. Problem is, there are a few other individuals in the universe that happen to want the same thing at the exact same time. Through some occurrences of Star-Lord attempting to double cross his Ravenger leader and sell it on his own, he has now come in contact with Gamora the adopted daughter of Thanos who is working for Ronan. Then they run into Rocket and Groot, and all four are arrested on the planet Xandor. After meeting Drax in prison, they make their escape and so begins their attempt on saving the Galaxy.
1) Good balance action, funny (literally laughed out loud so many times), tear jerking.
2) As opposed to flashbacks, we learn about their backgrounds through regular conversation that is well incorporated into the movie. Because of these, it left wanting more and to do origin spin-offs.
3) I think that there was a good balance between the characters as far as screen time and dialogue. Although we can say that Star-Lord was the main character, it seemed to be well balanced and not going off in different directions, and then having to circle back around.
Cons (not really cons):
4) More back story on Ronan and makes him different then the rest of the Kree.
5) Would have loved to seen Nova on Xandor.
4 out of 5
1) Two of the main characters were CGI, and they looked fantastic. They fit into the movie perfectly. Honestly, I didn’t even point out “Oh that is definitely CGI.”, like I have in another movies.
2) The last fight scene, the dog fight, was amazing.
3) The look and feel of the different planets.
5 out of 5
1) Love that 70’s/80’s soundtrack. Awesome Mix Vol 1
2) Character chemistry was phenomenon.
3) Surround sound was done very well; it made you feel like you were there.
5 out of 5
If you haven’t seen the film yet, what are you doing here? GO SEE IT!
This is a very well balanced movie and not your typical Marvel film. It definitely had the space adventure feel. Everyone did a great job on the film. I am looking forward to getting it on BluRay and watching over and over again.
5 out of 5
Groot: “I am Groot.”
Gamora: “Who put sticks up their butts?”
Drax the Destroyer: “NOTHING goes over my head! My reflexes are too fast, I would catch it.”
Rocket: “You just wanna suck the joy out of everything.”
Peter Quill: “Hooked on a Feeling, Blue Swede! That song belongs to me!”